Salvage Repaired Title Versus Salvage Title Motorcycle
You are likely to encounter articles or forum posts advising you how bad salvage-title motorcycles are. Well, that is half the story. These articles are telling you the issues of buying a rebuilt salvage title motorcycle. That is a bike that has been titled as salvage, then rebuilt and inspected. Someone else gets to fix the salvage motorcycle, not you.
What we want to talk about here is buying the salvage motorcycle, prior to any work being done to it. Think of it as buying a run-down house which you will either do the work or direct someone else to do the work for you. You are in the driver seat for this process. Either yourself or your preferred mechanic, fix the salvage title bike personally.
Problems You Can’t Avoid With A Salvage Title Motorcycle:
Let’s be clear about some issues you cannot avoid:
- You will have problems
insuringthe bike for collision damage. Though it shouldn’t be an issue for liability;
- It will be very tough to finance;
- With a salvage rebuilt title it will be hard to turn in as a trade-in.
Problems You Can Avoid When You Want To Fix A Salvage
- You need to know what you are doing, or have trusted people who know what they are doing perform the work;
- Budget how much you can spend at an auction, as well as for parts and repairs. You don’t want to get to the point where you could have bought a used, clean title version. Make sure you know the problems beforehand and estimate how much you can afford to spend repairing them.
- Don’t jump on the first bike you see at auctions. Unless it’s a rare bike or special custom, you will find that the same popular models appear continually on the auction block. Wait for the best opportunity!
- Not inspecting before buying. Spending a little money to have a mechanic inspect the bike, can save you many times over the money if they catch something.
The good part is, if you do it right, you are going to be able to save quite a lot of money buying a salvage title motorcycle. Sign up here to look for salvage title bikes!